Tuesday, October 7, 2014

love it/hate it: blo south end


a couple weeks back I was the bridesmaid in one of my good friend's weddings. she was the most laid back bride (which hallelujah! bridezillas are the worst) and really wanted us to be comfortable and happy with all of the day of details (dress, shoes, hair, etc). while the other girls opted to have up-dos done the day of the wedding, I have way too much hair to ever be happy with an up-do. more often than not I end up with a giant mass of hair on the top of my head, which isn't a good look for anyone. I decided to get a blowout the day before and save myself a headache. I've made my rounds to the different blow dry bars (the dry bar, hairo, and be styled to name few), and love the premise. no matter how hard I try, how many tutorials I watch, products I buy, brushes I try, I cannot master the va-va-voom look of a professional blow out. my bosses are always raving about blo blow dry bar in the south end, so I figured this was a perfect opportunity to try this place out. my stylist was amazing- super down to earth, funny as hell (I was laugh/crying the entire time that I was there), and knew what she was doing. they have a menu of different styles to choose from; the red carpet (classic blow out), the executive sweet (super straight), the holly would (full bouncy curls), and the pillow talk (tousled bed head), but I ended up describing the style that I was going for (lots of volume, sleek, with curled ends that would last a lá the kardashians). she took into consideration the fact that I have thick, super heavy hair (and a lot of it!) so she blew it out and set the curls to make sure that they would last. while I lost quite a bit of the curl between that night and the next afternoon, the end result was exactly what I wanted. the location was super cute, hot pink everywhere, with white accents and blown up pictures of screen sirens with serious hair, and all of the girls working had amazing hair (sidenote- if you're at a new salon and trying to decide who you want to do your hair, I always choose the girl with the best/closest to my own hair). I was a bit bummed that they didn't provide drinks (I could have totally gone for a class of champagne... or prosecco... or rosé) like they do at dry bar- but it wasn't make or break. I wish I had pictures to include of what my hair ended up looking like (I do not do selfies so a pre-sleeping on shot doesn't exist), but I was all about my bridesmaid duties and didn't snap a single picture. hopefully I'll see some of the professional shots soon and update this post with one, or two.

bottom line- if you're looking for a place for a great blowout (birthday, anniversary, presentation, bachelorette, girl's night, just because), they do an amazing job. also! if you go on monday or tuesday in the morning/early afternoon they offer a discounted rate.

have you ever tried blo? are you a fan of the blow dry salon concept?
xx, marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment