Tuesday, July 29, 2014

bye bye la la land

getting back to LA after a four day bender in Vegas was amazing. it was great to unwind with nikki's family (since she had to head right back to work)- having lunch with her mom and her sister, sharing stories from our time together at college, getting to know them better, and taking my final stroll around Rodeo. we decided to spend the late afternoon/early evening before my flight just the two of us, and (of course) she knew the perfect spot.


I had been yammering on about how I wanted to visit the Beverly Hills Hotel, see the quintessential palm leaf wall paper, and have a drink at the Polo Lounge basically forever, but after hearing some appalling information about the owner of the hotel (the Sultan of Brunei- yes, seriously), it didn't seem to high up on my to-do list. instead we opted for the retro Avalon Hotel that is everything I could have ever dreamed of. the 60's have been one of my favorite decades for as long as I can remember, and it was like going back in time stepping into the Avalon. the decor was a mix of graphic prints, white and mint with gold accents and minimalist everything. the cabanas around the pool were perfect little bungalows, and since the hotel doesn't have a roof over the pool, we were able to soak up the last bit of Cali sunshine before my red-eye, munch on incredible pizza (which I was told is a good example of a "california pizza", as opposed to east coast pizza) and sip on pretty cocktails. it was beyond amazing to be able to spend a birthday with one of my best friends, finally be able to meet her family after hearing about them (and basically knowing them) for seven years, and have the perfect Beverly Hills/Vegas experience.

don't worry LA, i'll be back before you know it ;)
xx, marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment