Saturday, June 21, 2014

essentials: summer


Since today marks the first OFFICIAL day of summer, this post seemed oh-so fitting. For me, there's no better way to spend a summer day than at the beach, and making sure you have all the necessary things packed and ready to go makes it that much easier. Here are the things that I always make sure to have in my beach (or pool) bag so that I'm always prepared.

1. Toni & Guy Sea Salt Spray- This is the best product for getting beachy waves whether you decide to go in the water or not. If you're like me, and beach trips end with a trip to a beach side bar, it's nice to have this to perfect your wind blown hair. Spray it in your air dried hair to create piecy hair that looks done, not ratty.
2. Baseball Hat- To each their own with who is on your hat, but being a proud Boston gal, it's only the Red Sox for me. I love keeping a baseball hat in my bag to protect my face towards the end of the day when I'm starting to feel a bit crisp.
3. Kind Bars- I like to keep a snack in my bag, just in-case. Usually beach side snack shacks have not the best snack options, and I'm obsessed with Kind Bars. Anything combining nuts, sea salt and chocolate is my favorite- so this flavor wins!
4. vineyard vines Classic Tote- This has been my go-to beach bag for the past few years. Perfectly preppy and sturdy canvas with built in pockets to stay organized.
5. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment- My favorite lip treatment with SPF15. Super important to not only protect your skin, and the lemony taste reminds me of Fruity Pebbles.
6. Emi-Jay Hair Ties- These hair ties are the cutest! Not only do they not leave dents in your hair and come in so many different colors and patterns, but they also look like a bracelet when you have them around your wrist. I can't be without a hair tie at the beach, especially towards the end of the day when I just want my hair off my neck.
7. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen- This brand is the best for giving you sun protection without the gross, sticky sunscreen feeling.
8. Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior- I have to have a book (or two) with me in my beach bag. This is one that I'm currently reading and am obsessed. If you love sociology, marketing, human behavior, or psychology- pick this up.
9. Wide Tooth Comb- My hair has a mind of it's own at the beach/when it's wet. If I don't brush it out, I will end up with the worst rats nest at the end of the day. Wide tooth combs are the best for dealing with tangles, and are gentler on wet hair (which is when it's most susceptible to damage!).
10. Beach Towel- To dry off with, to lay on, to wrap yourself up with when it gets cold. Everyone needs a beach towel. I look picking ones in bright colors or fun patterns- it makes it easier to remember who's is whose.
11. Tumbler Cup- I'm a crazy person when it comes to drinking water. I need lots millions of ice cubes to keep my drink freezing. These cups are the best with their built in straws and double walls to keep your hand dry/sand off it. Plus, everything is better in hot pink.

What are some things that you keep in your beach/pool bag?
xx, marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment