Thursday, October 6, 2016

hot spots: vintage faves

I was never one for vintage shopping before I moved to LA. of course every town and city has it's fair share of vintage clothing stores, but it took moving to a city like LA where the vintage shopping is seriously off the chain (yes, I really just used that term. it's seriously that good) to finally get me hooked. maybe it's because there are so many fashionable ladies and gents squeezed into one place, the vibes of old hollywood, or the industry that requires clothing from any decade or any style- but there's something in the water and I have made the most of it while living here. 

my best friend, and resident LA tour guide, is the one that got me hooked. she would bust out random pieces from her wardrobe, something that you weren't going to find at the mall or hanging in nordstrom, and name drop the same vintage spots over and over again. she would roll her eyes when I would be squeamish and grossed out, but once I made my first score, she knew she had a convert. 

gotta have it- this small shop is right across the street from the infamous venice lighted letters and is where I made my first serious vintage purchase. we had spent the day on the boardwalk, and popped in to check out their collection of vintage t-shirts (you can never have enough super soft vintage tees) when I saw it, the most amazingly ridiculous beige shearling-esque coat that had been on the floor for all of 5 minutes. the thing with vintage shopping, and the lesson I learned right quick that day, is if you see something you like (even if you're not 100% sure you want it), grab now and decide later. I could feel the eyes of every girl in the store glaring me as I hemmed and hawed over the coat; was it "too much", would I ever wear it, who needs a shearling coat in los angeles. thankfully the coat came home with me, and while it's definitely one of the most ridiculous things in my wardrobe, it's also one of my favorites.

american vintage (westwood) & american vintage (melrose)- love both of these locations, but they have different vibes, depending on what you're looking for. westwood has UCLA super close by, so there's a bit more of a college look to some of the things that they bring in, where as melrose is a lot more interesting/out there pieces. in westwood I found the coolest pair of levi's with amazing vintage barbie fabric covering the back pockets that were unfortunately too small to take home, but scooped up a fabulous dress from the 60's made in laguna beach that has become my go-to beach cover-up. on melrose I found an amazing rebecca minkoff that I had lusted after the season before, but never invested in, for almost 60% off retail and was in perfect condition.

wasteland- is my best friends go-to for amazing deals on denim. a lot of their pieces are super current, and in great condition. I have had great luck with vintage tee's, and found an amazing vintage celtics t-shirt from the 70's that I gifted to my nephew for christmas last year, and a vintage tank top from a st. patrick's day marathon in Ireland that I've rocked during my own st. patty's day celebrations.

melrose trading post- while this isn't a brick and mortar store, the collection of vendors selling vintage goods at this amazing flea market every sunday on melrose is a must see. besides my kate hudson "almost famous" coat, the coolest and prized possession of my vintage wardrobe came from here. there is a vendor who deals solely with vintage sports memorabilia/jerseys and it was my mission one day to find something boston related to take home. I found cool celtics jerseys, and patriots tees, but the red sox are the team that is nearest and dearest to my heart. the gentleman running the booth heard me bummed about nothing red sox, and pulled out the most amazing satin starter jacket that literally made me gasp. I find any occasion to wear it, and there is nothing that makes me feel cooler when I slip it on. can't wait to rock that in boston where I know it will be fully appreciated. there are tons of vendors there selling everything from vintage clothes and jewelry to furniture and home decor. even if vintage isn't your thing- melrose has something for everyone or is a fun place to spend a sunday poking around.

it's a wrap- this store is a mix of vintage and 'newish' pieces from movies and television shows that wardrobe and stylists sell after production is over. the store is organized by show or movie, so if there's a certain character that you like their style and are the same size as, you are in luck. their jewelry selection (that they keep up by the cash wrap) is definitely worth taking  peak at, I've found great (and brand new) house of harlow pieces, and fun costume pieces for super cheap. around halloween they completely transform the store into a mecca of halloween costumes since everything is movie/tv grade costumes. if you're looking for a group to dress up together, you're in luck since most outfits have multiples for filming.

what are your favorite places for vintage gems? any super special diamonds in the rough that you've added to your wardrobe?
xx, marissa


No comments:

Post a Comment