Sunday, October 16, 2016

cheap date: the broad

as part of my art history minor in college, I spent a good chunk of time at the ICA in boston and fell head over heels for the museum. contemporary art had always been my favorite, so museums focusing on it are always on the top of my list. I had heard of the broad when I first moved to LA, but for some reason never made the trek out there. with my newfound fun-employment until I head back to boston in a few short weeks I've made it my mission to cross as many things off my LA bucket list and finally paid it a visit. the first thing I realized (and loved) was that it is a free museum- hello cheap free date! museums can be seriously pricey, so it's nice that this museum is all about educating and engaging over profiting. however, since it is free, you have to reserve tickets in advance or risk heading down there and waiting in line without getting in. one exhibit/instillation in particular (the infinity room) has been an obsession of mine for years, and requires a separate reservation of it's own. the day I happened to go to the museum, the reservations unfortunatley were full for the day. if you go on a day when reservations are full, there is a standby line that you can wait in, but there is no guarantee you'll get in/how long you'll be waiting. luckily for me a whole slew of reservations were no shows, so I only waited maybe 5 minutes before I was able to go in. the infinity room is unlike anything I've ever seen or experienced. the closest thing I could compare it to is standing inside of a galaxy, and since space is my favorite, I was over the moon (pun intended). I was expecting to share the experience with the other museum goers in line, but was seriously pleasantly surprised when I realized it was one on one. best minute in a long time.




the museum releases the tickets in monthly batches the first week of every month, and they fill up fairly quickly. if you can make it work, a week day is easier to visit and you don't have the same weekend crowds that make museum going not as fun (in my opinion). it's a great collection, but not a giant museum- so take that into consideration when planning your day. there are quite a few museums in the vicinity of the broad, so make a museum day of it, or bop around DTLA and explore. I decided to do the latter, and crossed a few more things off my LA bucket list. more on that later :)

have you visited the broad or scored tickets to the infinity room? what's your favorite part?
xx, marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment