Sunday, October 25, 2015

shopping 101: missing wardrobe pieces

for most people, shopping usually ends up being the hunt for a certain something, retail therapy, or "just looking" that ultimately turns into buying. impulse shopping or picking up random pieces is a great way to find fun gems for your wardrobe, but I like to think of mine as a collection of things that I love. and while that collection is constantly evolving, a trendy piece from forever21 or h&m here and a random find at a vintage store there, there are key basics and solid foundation pieces that make getting dressed every morning super easy and and create an unlimited combination of looks to choose from. as super type-a as this sounds, I love to keep a running list of the pieces I've found are missing from my wardrobe. it makes me treat shopping as a sport, always on the hunt for that elusive something that's missing, and I get such a sick satisfaction out of checking something off the list when I take it home. there are some things that seem like they should be easy finds (a soft, semi-slouchy v-neck t in white & black), but being the perfectionist that I am, if something isn't perfect, I won't even bother. my list is full of investment pieces (a black leather moto jacket, taupe suede desert booties, and a structured leather handbag), but also pieces that could go high end or budget friendly (DVF wrap dress or one that just fits amazing). and with the holidays coming up, I always find myself stumped when people ask something that I would love. clothes shopping for another person can be super tricky, but it provides a great jumping point for someone, and for specific items (like white low-top chuck Taylor's or matte black folding wayfarers) that's pretty impossible for someone to screw up.

do you keep a list of pieces you're on the hunt for, or am I alone in my type a-ness on this one?
xx, marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment