Monday, August 4, 2014

neighborhood faves: the north end

what I love so much about Boston is that every neighborhood is different; each with it's own quirks and personality. I may be a little partial since it's where I live, and have lived since college, but the North End definitely holds a special place in my heart. these are a few of my favorite spot in the neighborhood- whether I need a bit of retail therapy, or some amazing food.



Shake the Tree is one of my favorite spots for funky and eclectic finds. the perfect place for cute stuff for your home, or your super stylish friend that is difficult to shop for. the owner does an amazing job stocking her shelves with super special items, that have a touch of anthropologie mixed with smaller boutique brands. 
best bet if you're looking for: cool housewares, delicate semi-fine jewelry, and fun kitschy items.

LIT Boutique is my go-to for fun dresses, cute tops and statement jewelry. their buyer does an amazing job bringing in pieces that fall in every different price point, which is amazing when you're a college student looking for a cute going out outfit, or looking to find a fun present for your best friend without breaking the bank. the majority of my dress collection is from here, and most of them are under the $100 price point (both of my dresses for my college graduation/party were from here)
best bet if you're looking for: fun dresses, cute shoes/purses, and trendy accessories

Twilight Boutique is my favorite spot for their collection of JoJo Bling earrings and other fun accessories. They also carry great dresses, and clothing pieces- but their price point is significantly higher than LIT. 
best bet if you're looking for: fun sparkly accessories or JoJo's

Ernesto's Pizza is my favorite non-traditional slice of pizza in the North End. the Buffalo Chicken is my absolute favorite, but their BBQ chicken is a close second. their slices are actually two, so don't make the rookie mistake of ordering two- you'll end up with 1/2 a pizza. in college my roommate and I would get a slice of buffalo and a slice of bbq and split them for the best of both worlds.
best bet if you're looking for: slices with lots of toppings! don't even bother with the cheese- too many other combinations to try (and make sure you get it heated up)

Antico Forno is my favorite restaurant in the North End. away from the tourist trap that is Hanover Street, you don't have to deal with long lines, being rushed in and out, and the food is amazing. the gnocci is my absolute favorite, but their pizza is pretty amazing too.
best bet if you're looking for: delicious Italian food that's off the beaten path

Bova's Bakery is the best late night gem in the North End. don't even bother going to Pompeii, unless you like awful service, terrible pizza, and ridiculous lines. Bova's around 2:30/3 am is a prime spot for people watching since all of the drunk people are stumbling in looking for food to fight their midnight munchies. the calzones (chicken parm is my favorite) are the best, but they also have arrancini (rice balls), and pastries (if you're looking for something sweeter. if you're looking for a late night slice, don't bother going here if it's after 1 am. some weird law stops them from being able to sell it. and bring cash ($10 credit card limit).
best bet if you're looking for: late night munchies or drunk people watching

what are some of your favorite North End spots? do you love this neighborhood as much as I do?
xx, marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment